Mindful soccer
- Geschreven voor www.wkup.org -
As the ball
is being kicked off, I bring my attention to the twenty-one people around me
(twenty-two actually, the referee is as much part of this as anyone, no
discrimination, whatever soccer custom might be). A feeling of wonder comes up
in me. How amazing is it to be playing soccer here with the monastics (the
monastics!) on a real-sized soccer pitch. It was not what I was expecting when
I set out to go to a monastery, to be honest, but that makes it all the more
special. I cannot but feel a strong connection with all these people on the
field, to know that we are all really here, after leaving this morning all
together for the soccer field in town.
A shout of
"brotherhood" echoes over the pitch as the players get into position.
This is not your average soccer game. This is a mindful soccer game. (Mindful
soccer, really? Oh yes!) I stand amongst ten other brothers, monastics and
layfriends alike. And on the other side, eleven others line up as well. As far
as there are sides in this game, off course. "The left cannot exist
without the right," Thay's phrase pops into my head, "the left needs
the right in order to exist." No, this game is not about different sides,
it is about being all together.
I start
moving. Underneath me, my feet are walking. I feel how the studs under my feet are
giving me a sense of security on the grass. I feel like a mountain, stable,
solid.
My team
loses the ball. I feel anxiety coming up, but I just bring my attention back to
the people around me, and just enjoy their presence. This is what brotherhood
is about.
Now the
ball is coming my way. I am suddenly focused. All my thoughts vanish. I just
see the ball now. I just see the players' movement. And I move with them. As if
this was some sort of dance. As if we are like one river flowing. I intercept
the ball and kick it away. I do not feel proud coming up, nor satisfaction. I
just feel the pulse of the game, I just feel the pulse of the other players,
and my heart beating with it, with them.
"So who
won?" asks one of my friends when we get back to Upper Hamlet later that
day. "The one who scored the most goals," I say as I smile to him.
"Well yes, so who scored the most?" he asks not understandingly.
"I don't know," I tell him, "maybe the real question is what
your goals really are. If the goal is just to kick the ball in the nets, I
think our team has won, but if the real goals is to enjoy and build
brotherhood… Well, I think you know the answer to that question." And now,
we are both smiling.


Reacties
Een reactie posten